Bánhegyi László Gábor
Corvinus School of Budapest
Case study of General Motors' EV1
A brief history3
Washington dc Air Solutions Board9
Hydrogen Fuel Cell10
Inside my childhood I usually was a lover of everything which had wheels. Naturally the sports automobiles were my favorite. At that time, I did not care an excessive amount of about the maintaining costs, including gas prices rather than a bit about environmentally friendliness of these fuel devouring enemies.
When I spent my youth, things had changed. I had formed started to be interested in a lot of other elements. For example , the velocity of the car became significantly less important when i came across a car, as the gas usage gained a greater part during my preferences. The key cause of it was mainly because of fuel prices, but just a little slice of my human brain coded to care about the surroundings so it was obvious that my car cannot consume too much in order to maintain the condition of the air.
Considering the mentioned information about my " long” history with vehicles, I think it really is clear how come I choose the topic of electric autos to write about.
This composition will be a example of Basic Motors' EV1 prototype as well as its way in the beginnings until the end, depending on the virtuous documentary film of Chris Paine. Obviously I will offer some up to date data and I will match it with my opinion to aid the knowledge of the topic. This situatio study might be could appear a little obsolete but its tale is a very good example of today's economic, political interests and just how interested groups treat unbeneficial situations.
" I'm keeping America by simply driving electric cars” – Tom Hanks
A brief history
?nternet site mentioned before, this kind of essay is founded on the documentary film named " Who Killed the Electric Car? ” described by Chris Paine. The director's motion picture created in 2006, so six years ago. The position of electric automobiles had changed since then, but I thought this situatio is very significant to present the battle of powers in nowadays universe. The tale of the EV1 is among the most debatable cases in the modern history of automobiles. Because of its very limited production as well as the huge multimedia attention generated by the scams, it became a very strong sign of the electrical cars' accomplishment and inability also. (Greeencar. com, 2012)
1 . Picture - General Motors EV1, source: www.motor-talk.de
The beginnings of the GMC EV1 rooted back to the 1980s. A business specialized to energy efficiency researches, AeroVironment, started to develop a car which is totally run by electrical power. The leader of the project was Dr . Paul MacCready, a well-known aeronautical engineer from the United States, who sadly passed away in 2007. Following years of expansion the concept car, named GMC Impact was introduced to the audiences on the 1990 La Auto Present. (AeroVironment Website, 2012) At that time, another important event happened. Inside the 1990s, California was in a pollution problems because of the smoke which acquired very unbeneficial effect on peoples' health. The California Air flow Resource Board had to take action for this issue, so they wanted to cure the amount of gases originating from cars. Influenced by the latest announcement of General Power generators about an electrical vehicle modele, they came up with the Zero Emissions Require (ZEV). That required 2% of new vehicles sold in California to be emission-free by 98, 10% by simply 2003. It had been a very radical smog-fighting requirement. (California Atmosphere Resources Table, 2012) The first EV1 rolled out from the Lansing GMC factory in 1996 after three years the availability had turn off in January 1999. From the beginning GM distributed more than 1000 cars in California, US. (Who Wiped out the Electric powered Car, 2006) " Coincidently” at the same time in December 99, there was an interesting event. General Motors completed the purchase of the Hummer...
Bibliography: 2. AeroVironment Site (2012), In memory of Dr . Paul MacCready, (online), (Accessed: 30th December 2012), Available at: http://www.avinc.com/about/dr_maccready/
* Cal Air Methods Board (2012), Zero Release Vehicle (ZEV) Program, (online), (Accessed: 31th December 2012), Available at: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevprog.htm
* Impressive Times (2003), GM guys the put on electric car, (online), (Accessed: 30th December 2012), Available at: http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/GM_yanks_EV1.html
* GMHummer Website (2012), HUMMER Background, (online), (Accessed: 31th Dec 2012), Sold at: http://www.gmhummer.com/history/history.htm
2. Greencar. com (2012), 20 Truths About the GENERAL MOTORS EV1 Electric Car, (online), (Accessed: thirtieth December 2012), Available at: http://www.greencar.com/articles/20-truths-gm-ev1-electric-car.php
* Motor-talk. de (2012), Better Place: Die mobile elektrische Innovation?, (online), (Accessed: 30th January 2012), Sold at: http://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/passat-cc-tdi-dsg/better-place-die-mobile-elektrische-revolution-t2114956.html
2. MSNBC (2006), Bush promotes fuel cells on Earth Working day, (online), (Accessed: 31th December 2012), Sold at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12436113/ns/us_news-environment/t/bush-promotes-fuel-cells-earth-day/#.UOFw4-TaVOM
5. Website of Ford Motor Company (2012), Ford Mustang Specs, (online), (Accessed: thirtieth December 2012), Available at: http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
* Western world Hills Impact (2012), The EV1 Electric power Car, (online), (Accessed: twentieth December 2012), Available at: http://www.westhillscollision.com/upperv.php?article=ev1
* Whom Killed the Electric Car?, Dir. Chris Paine, Volvo Pictures Classics, 2006, Film